Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Reality Sinking In.

It's finally starting to sink in that marriage equality is a real thing now. During the campaigns and the final days leading up to the elections I was reading Stephen King's "11/22/63" which talks about how the religious extremists viewed equal rights for anyone but the middle class white male in the late 50s and early 60s, and it got me thinking - this is how it is.
Through various discussions, and some light reading, I have come to find that our country will always contain people who are intolerant and hate-filled. I find joy in reading about the Civil Rights movements through the 60s and 70s, and about the people who were brave enough to say "this isn't fair, and will no longer be tolerated!" What amazing people led the way!
I want nothing more than a world that accepts the differences in each other as beautiful instead of something to be feared. I long for a time when the reality of equality is realized for all, but my heart breaks as I realize it will never happen. For every small victory we win for equality there is another battle forming in the skirt tails.
If you think about it, Communism wasn't that bad for that very purpose - everyone was equal. Of course, overbearing dictator aside, it was still a flawed system, but my point remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember: This is a NO HATE ZONE. Thanks - Admin.